In the US, the share of GDP devoted to healthcare spending grew from 9 percent of GDP in 1980 to 16 percent of GDP in 2008.
The level of health care cost growth cannot be sustained, so in order to dramaticaly reduce the cost of health care, the following needs to be done so that
the last twenty years of your life when health care costs is the most, it does not result in bankrupting you:
As insurance against the last years of a person's life, which is the most costly, the person would be taxed according to his income level and in return he gets a biometric health ID card for the following services:
(1) The biometric card reader on the bus enables him to get free transportation to the nearest community health center where there is a free gym and free gym classes.
(2) If he provides his own transportation to the community health center, he gets reimbursed by the government on his taxes the next year.
(3) At the community health center, he passes certain annual medical tests and gets a reimbursement check ( of taxes paid ) for being healthy .
(4) His health ID card entitles him to get a weekly allotment of wild caught salmon, organic fruits and vegetables at the community health center.
(5) His health ID card also entitles him to preventive dental services at the community health center.
(6) A patient who is sick goes to the nearest community health center and gets an official diagnosis of his problem from three different independent doctors at the community health center.
The doctors use a sophisticated computer program that analyses every possible symptom suffered by the patient.
The official diagnosis is automatically sent online to a central government processing center.
(7) An online auction system ( available to the public to see ) of every known procedure that tells doctors what a reasonable price is ( according to a panel of experts in that procedure )
enables doctors to bid against each other in order to get as close as possible to the reasonable price.
Doctors do not have to bid and can just accept the reasonable price posted on the website.
(8) The central government processing center automatically matches the official diagnosis of the patient with a list of doctors (nearest to the patient) who have successfully bid on that particular procedure on the government auction online.
(9) The patient is sent online or by mail, the address of several doctors nearby who have successfully bid for that particular procedure and who are ranked according to peer reviewed criteria in (12) below and the patient makes an appointment with the doctor whom he thinks has the best peer reviewed grading according to (12) below.
(10) After buying all medications at a huge discount, the government dispenses the free medication (according to the doctor's prescription) through the community health center's onsite pharmacy.
(11) Every community health center will have free drug rehabilitation and mental health facilities for those who have become dependent on drugs of any kind (prescription and non-prescription ) because people on drugs have been known to commit violent crime and be involved in car crashes where your loved ones are at risk.
(12) After treatment feedback, a hospital's health environment grade in preventing hospital acquired infections and repeated corrective procedures by a doctor indicating incompetency or greed can all be seen by the public online in one government sponsored website that grades hospitals and doctors according to peer reviewed criteria.
If people feel they are being taxed upfront for free gym services and free food plus reimbursement checks for being healthy, they will have enough incentives to get those free services since
they paid for them upfront and for those who don't care about the free food, free gym services and reimbursement checks, that is ok because
even if a tiny minority lead healthy lifestyles due to being taxed and getting part of that tax back (for leading healthy lifestyles), its going to make a major difference in reducing overall health care costs.